"Anyone that doesn't agree with leggings as pants can physically fight me.
And I'm going to win because I have a full range of motion due to the fact that I am wearing leggings as pants."

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

BNL- Snacktime

A week before Joey was born, we went to see a Barenaked Ladies concert. At one point, I thought she was kicking in rhythm to the music, but eventually I realized that it was just the bass pounding through the amniotic fluid. Let me tell you, that's a crazy feeling.

Not sure if this had any effect on her, but, man oh man, does she love these guys. Actually, we all do. They're honest and talented and clever and deep and environmentally responsible oh yah, and hilarious.

Last week they put out a kid's album called Snacktime. It's not dumbed down. In fact, it's really intelligent. These are people who respect kids. I love this album. I actually think Joey may get tired of it before I do.

This is one of the songs, called 7 8 9 and based on the joke that all of us told as kids.


(And I also love the potty humor at the end.)

Here are some of my favorite lyrics from the song Raisins...

"Raisins come from grapes.
People come from apes.
I come from Canada.
...

I've got orange pants.
I wear them when I dance.
But, I don't get out that much.
...

But I can parle Francais.
I parled a bit today.
It seemed like the thing to do."

Joey's favorite song is Pollywog in a Bog.

I rarely say this, but go and buy this album. It's great. Especially is you have a skewed sense of humor and would like to encourage that in your kids.

I mean, how could you not love an album that has the lyrics "crank it up loud on the ghetto-blaster."

Personally, we're ordering the CD that comes with book.

Added Note- Joey and I've spent the last hour or so watching various BNL videos on You Tube. There's lots of good stuff there, but I wouldn't necessarily let your kids roam free, if you know what I mean.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cool. Thanks for sharing! Rushing out of the door (actually clicking through websites) to buy the album right NOW.

auroramae said...

Hey I know a little girls birthday that's coming up, hint, hint.

Wendy said...

Aurora, we've already bought Jaden's present, but I was going to suggest it to Jenny.

Wendy said...

And CindyW, you won't regret it!

Leah said...

When the rest of my high school class was drooling over Duran Duran, I was panting over the Barenaked Ladies. I still have a hat I bought at a concert in 1990 that I wear when I'm running. When I lived in Haiti after college, lots of people asked about that hat. I haven't seen their faces in years and years, though I've bought all of their albums. Thanks for mentioning this album. Just watching them on YouTube makes me blush and flush red at the same time. They haven't changed a bit!

Wendy said...

Leah, I assume you went to the concerts where they were still throwing macaroni and cheese?

Renee Unplugged - said...

I LOVE BNL!
After I gave birth to my oldest son the song "When you Dream" was always playing (and I was always crying). The song described him perfectly.
I went online and purchased this album. THANKS for letting us know about it!