"Anyone that doesn't agree with leggings as pants can physically fight me.
And I'm going to win because I have a full range of motion due to the fact that I am wearing leggings as pants."

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Wood Floors, Refinishing or Drip System? You Decide

It looks like this is my 200th post. So, to celebrate, I'm going to try something completely new and scary.

For my next big project, I'm going to let you, my dear readers, choose what I'll be doing. Eventually, I plan to finish all of these projects (you wouldn't believe what my To Do list looks like), but for now I've got to focus on just one, which I totally hate doing. Focusing that is. So to take the pressure off myself, I'm putting it on all of you.

Damn, I feel better already.

I'll be documenting my successes and failures and anything else I learn along the way. My guess is that there will be quite a few Donnie Don't posts. Hopefully, at the end there will be an exciting Ta Da! type moment. There may also just be lots of cursing and a sad picture of me sitting in the corner, sucking my thumb.

I'll let the voting run for the next week, during which time I'll be finishing up the current big project (she says with an overabundance of optimism). To vote, check out the poll over on the right side of the page.

So, just what are these amazing projects that you're supposed to (hopefully) care enough about to vote on?

Can I have a drum roll please?

Contestant Number One
This project consists of pulling up the carpet in one of the bedrooms, removing the tack strips and sanding and finishing the wooden floors that are underneath. I have no idea what condition the floors are in. As far as I'm concerned, discovering that will just be part of the fun.

Contestant Number Two
This project involves a lovely dining room table that a friend gave to us. The problem is that it is in desperate need of refinishing. Not only is the finish peeling, but we can't actually get the table wet without it staining. Let me be the first to assure you that this is a less than desirable quality to have in a dining room table. The biggest obstacle with this is that it has a veneer, so sanding is not an option. As far as I know, chemicals are the only way to go. I'll be researching various types of strippers in order to find the least toxic option. I'll also be researching the whole rest of the project, since it's completely new to me.

Contestant Number Three
This project involves converting one zone on our existing sprinkler system to a drip system. This zone will cover our vegetable garden, along with the area that we are thinking about turning into a berry patch (but that is currently a flower/weed bed). This project will involve fancy phrases like "pressure compensating emitter line".

So, if any of these seem like something that you'd like to see me fumble my way through or if you actually plan to try one of these yourself one day and would prefer to learn from my mistakes, get over there on the right side and remember, Vote Early, Vote Often.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Will this be a "Wendy-only" project, or will Jeff be involved? If so, I vote for the one with the strippers. BTW, I think they prefer the term "exotic dancers".

Wait...(reads post a second time)

Aaahhh...I see...

Never mind.

If you need me, I'll be at the strip club.

Regi said...

I voted... wood floors. Mostly because I have always been curious as to the process.

~Regi

Lyn StClair said...

I'm going to vote, but I just thought I'd better give you some logic too. Do the carpet thing first. Use the old carpet as a drop cloth for when you tackle the dining room table. By that time you'll be ready to get all the weeds out of your garden and prepare it for the drip system. Line'em up and knock'em down! Have fun!

MichelleB said...

I voted for the drip system, because I'd much rather have someone else redo my floors (not that that is going to happen, lol). And the table sounds too much like the floor project. And I need a drip system, because my drip system (my son) is on vacation - and I tend to kill things without a drip system.

However, what adornables said sounds great! If only I had that much energy.

Kathi D said...

I vote for the drip watering system first, as you will start saving water right away.

mercury said...

Have you thought about maybe painting the table? I'm pretty sure chemicals will loosen the glue that holds the veneer down.

Is it a waxy build up that's causing the spots, maybe? You could try stripping that really well (foamy shaving cream is supposed to work great, but I've never tried it) then hand sanding, then a waterproof finish.

I'd pass on the floors and let my husband do all that. He's a pro! Want to hire him? LOL

Adam said...

I think you'd get more net happiness with nice (hopefully) restored wooden floors. Give it a go :)

Anonymous said...

I voted for the table, because I'm selfish. We have a table in need of a similar makeover, and I have no idea where to start! I'm thinking you could do the research for me.

Wendy said...

Sara, that is totally not selfish. It's exactly the point. I'd like to make it as relevant to as many people as possible.

And, Jeff, if we do the table, you can be in charge of researching non-toxic exotic dancers. Which frankly, sounds a little disturbing.

Wendy said...

I'm sorry, it looks like blogger didn't post a couple of comments, one of which was mine, so I know. They did, however, notify me of them by email. Anyway, I'm copying them in. I thought they were here at one point, but now they're not. Weird.

The first is from Sara, who said "I voted for the table, because I'm selfish. We have a table in need of a similar makeover, and I have no idea where to start! I'm thinking you could do the research for me."

The second was mine, "Sara, that is totally not selfish. It's exactly the point. I'd like to make it as relevant to as many people as possible.

And, Jeff, if we do the table, you can be in charge of researching non-toxic exotic dancers. Which frankly, sounds a little disturbing."

Hope those are the only two it missed. Frankly, I'm getting tired of apologizing for Blogger. Ya hear that Google? You're on the brink here.

Anonymous said...

Hi Wen,
You might want to ask Davie about the finish on the dining room table. He learned all kinds of stuff at that Weathersby training and might give you suggestions.
I don't have a preference otherwise because I have to muck out my garage before I can start any projects!!

Unknown said...

I voted for the drip irrigation system, because I love mine so much. It will free your time to tackle those other projects. They are quick to set up and easy to modify. Add a timer and your watering headache is gone.