"Anyone that doesn't agree with leggings as pants can physically fight me.
And I'm going to win because I have a full range of motion due to the fact that I am wearing leggings as pants."

Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Tale of Two Grandmas- Part 1 (I think)

Last Thursday I received a call that my paternal grandmother had passed away in the night. Then on Sunday I received another call that my maternal grandmother had just passed that morning.

Neither of these calls were totally unexpected. Both women were in hospice care. They were both in pain, mentally and physically. In a lot of ways, it was a relief. What was hardest was the fact that they died within 3 days of one another.

It makes for a long and emotionally exhausting week.

However, the reason I stopped in here this morning is to share with you the songs that each of these women requested be played at their funerals. On more than one occasion in the last 10 years, each of my grandmas has played me their individual songs, making sure that if every other person in the family was suddenly struck with grief induced amnesia, I was to ensure that we heard these songs when we sat and pondered their lives.

And I have to say, their choices are completely spot on.

Losing two grandmas in the space of 3 days has thrown into sharp focus the differences and similarities of these two women. I've been thinking about how each of them handled society's pressure to be a good wife, mother and woman in a very different way. I may or may not share that here, depending on how coherently I can pull those thoughts together.

But for now, I think their songs say enough...

Thelma- Orange Blossom Special


(When they played this song during the funeral, I started to giggle and then I started to cry as well. I got to the place of such intense giggling and crying that my whole body was silently shaking. I was worried that it was going to just burst out in great waves of sobbing and snorting, but somehow I managed to maintain.)

Juanita- Riviera Paradise


(My MeMaw had a serious crush on Stevie Ray Vaughan. And I have to say I'm totally with her on that one. His music was so sexy and groovy. She never missed an episode of his on Austin City Limits. I hope that he meets her at the Pearly Gates playing this song and then busts right into The House is a Rockin', with her accompanying him on the piano.)

7 comments:

MichelleB said...

My condolences to your family. I loved both songs. They sound like they were very special women to pick such fun songs.

Anonymous said...

Such an original post. This is a lovely concept for a memoriam site... I don't know my grandmothers favorite songs, but one was fond of the "Tennessee Waltz" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ek3eCbfqp0 And you might appreciate this poem by Rod Walford http://webstatic.com/Poets/Rod/rw001_03.htm

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your feelings.

I have to say that I was doing the same thing as you were during the services on Monday. That song will always have special memories.

Our thoughts are with you during this time. I know both grandmas are proud of you for what you have become.

Michelle said...

I"m sorry to hear about your losses so close together.

Unknown said...

I'm very sorry for your loss. It was wonderful to hear your grandmothers' songs.

RunninL8 said...

What a neat pair of ladies they must have been! My heart goes out to you all in this time of grief and emotional overload. Take time to find a little peace.
I totally did the giggling/crying thing at my step father's funeral-the priest kept calling him John. His name was FRED!

the little travelers said...

Thanks for the great post! It's so lovely to see a bit of where you got some of your humor! It clearly runs in the family. What a lovely legacy to come from such a stock of spunky women.

(ps- your photos are up on my site- let me know what dvds you'd like whenever.)